Sunday, March 16, 2014

Light the Night

A short blog for a short week!

The work week was short.  Dave flew a few times, but the health department has not been calling him, only private "customers."  I wonder what happens to the patients who would otherwise be flown to the hospital.  I am concerned that the budget has a big influence on the quality of emergency care!

This week represents mid-term for the University of Belize students.  I met with each of my three interns to evaluate (both ways) the experience thus far.  The four of us then met with the supervisor from the University.  While the experience is a good one for interns, I think that they have been alarmed with some of the realities of a 60-children residence--the program, the care, the activities, etc.  I am finding it difficult to find a balance between registering complaints with the Department of Human Development and understanding the challenges of being a child care/treatment center for too many children with too few staff.  I've had some interesting conversations that have revealed "the lack of respect" that staff has of me (to quote an intern).  While I feel accepted, I think that my odd thoughts on the use of discipline and the role of positive acknowledgements, along with the realities that emotional problems don't heal overnight (i.e. there are no miracles), do not engender respect here.

On Friday night, Dave and I participated in the Light the Night walk to raise money for Inspiration Center.  Inspiration Center is a community service based center for differently challenged children, providing medical and rehabilitative services as well as social activities.  The cause was a good one, and others from the gym where we work out were participating.



The event started after 7:00 PM, and several hundred people of all ages were aglow with glow-sticks!



A colorful sight!  With music blaring from a truck in the lead, we walked from Memorial Park through the downtown streets of Belize City, cheering and singing and dancing!  As a friend of mine said, it turned into Carnival! Very fun to be a part of!  And a good cause!


To end with a couple of silly pictures that will always be a part of my visual memory of Belize City.

The crosswalks:

And the garbage, hanging on the fence, waiting for the "dirt truck" to pick up the trash (twice/week!!):



No comments:

Post a Comment