Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Wedding!


The happy couple!  What a wonderful event--and whirlwind week for me, too!

On Tuesday, August 6th, I flew to San Francisco.  I didn't arrive until after 11:00 PM, but the speed at which I went through customs in Dallas, when our flight was the only one there, was worth the late night flight.  My first stop off the plane was the ATM; I was going to need a lot of cash for this week!

On Wednesday, I walked from the San Mateo Hilton Garden Inn to a strip mall which I slowly walked through.  Coffee at Starbucks and Target for the beginning of buying items on my lengthy list!

Jeremy picked me up in the "Green Monster," my name for his Mustang!  I came to love that car!  So easy to drive and great to look at!  Jeremy brought a trunk full of boxes, all things that we ordered and sent to Jeremy to bring back to Belize.  He and I went for lunch, sitting on the patio of Saint Michael's Alley in Palo Alto.  It was a wonderful time, just the two of us, catching up!

The rest of my day was spent shopping at Stanford Mall.  There I found a dress in the proper color and new sandals to replace the ones falling apart in Belize.

On Thursday morning, I went to Jeremy's dentist.  I will say that I was lost more than I was found.  There is a reason that the street the hotel was on was called a circle, and for the life of me, I never took the same route twice to find Highway 101, and I never found a direct route!  Jeremy's dentist was great!  And just down the street was a Nordstom's Rack, Burlington, and Ross!  So I spent the balance of my day shopping there!  I found clothes that I needed in Belize and shoes for the wedding, and earmarked clothes for Dave to look at once he arrived.  (He was still in Belize, waiting for a relief pilot to arrive so that the air ambulance could be in the air.)

On Friday morning, Judi Simpson, Dave's sister arrived.  I had to return to Macy's in Stanford Mall, and we ran out of time, somehow, so we had lunch at McDonalds!  I think there is something wrong when one has lunch at Stanford Mall at McDonalds...oh, well.  Judi and I then went to Mission Bay Works to pick Jonattan up from work.  He gave us a tour of the facility, which is a day program for developmentally delayed adults.  What a wonderful program!  Really an outstanding example of creative programming!

Jonattan took Judi and me to his salon, where he and I had pedicures and I had a manicure.  I even had flowers painted on fingers and toes!  Then we went to the Blackbird in downtown San Jose where we met Jeremy and my brother, Greg Sharp, for dinner!

On Saturday, Dave, Judi and I took a long walk along the San Francisco Bay.  How wonderful to be outside in the cool air!  Meanwhile, Megan and Nathan showed up at the hotel, as did Jeremy and Jonattan with loads of things for the wedding.  And guests began arriving at the hotel.



At 4:00 PM, the rehearsal began with Rob Rojanasathit, the officiant and a long-time friend of Jeremy from Johns Hopkins days, directing.


Dinner with relatives and the wedding party was at Little Sichuan Restaurant in San Mateo.  Joining us (and surprising me) were Debbie and Chuck Real!  It was so great to have them there!  The restaurant was not prepared for our group, despite their confirming that we were coming, and amusingly, one table of people off the street joined our group.  I'm not sure they knew what hit them with all of the toasts and good cheer!  Or should I say gay cheer!


On Sunday morning, people gathered for brunch.  Candace and Stan McKenzie arrived from Seattle.  The photo booth was setting up in the lobby, and Jonattan and friends were still busy decorating the wedding room and the reception room.

At 4:30 PM, people began arriving for the 5:00 PM ceremony, and the wedding party gathered for pre-wedding drinks.


Mom and Best Man, Nathan


Megan Daley-Brown and her parents, Bill and Kathy Daley


Jonattan with Nathan and Greg Sharp

Soon the attendants gathered and began entering the wedding room.  Lots of attendants!  Friends and relatives (Jeremy's brother, Nathan, and Jonattan's brother, Richard Chua, Best Men) were included in the wedding party.  And Rob Rojanasathit officiated.


Jeremy seating his parents


Ceremony proceeding


Ceremony proceeding


Rob brings a smile to the grooms' faces!


Vows being said

The ceremony was lovely, and Rob did a wonderful job officiating.  Jonattan cried enough for the two of them!  But I could not stop smiling, so happy to be at such a beautiful wedding!  And so many people present!  In fact, they had assumed a certain percentage of refusals, but nearly everyone came who was invited!  Such an honor to these young men!  I loved the music, but don't know all that was used.  I know that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole was Jonattan's entrance song, so no wonder he cried!  It is one of my favorites!

Following the wedding, guests gathered in the hotel lobby for drinks and socializing while pictures were being taken.  


Stan McKenzie, the Daleys, and Nathan 


Judi Simpson, Debbie & Chuck Real, and Greg Sharp




The reception room was stunning!  I will add that the wedding room was also lovely, all created by Jonattan.  And he and his friends created a breath-taking room for the reception!  I am just sorry that I don't have pictures that really present it.  Jonattan bought the flowers at a wholesale flower mart and created all of the bouquets that we carried or wore, as well as all of the centerpieces.  He also had candles, bows around the chair covers, strings of lights behind the main table...it was beautiful!  As the wedding combined U.S., Philippines and China customs, the gifts came in the form of red envelopes for the money tree.  Jonattan's sister provided party favors from the Philippines.  And of course, there was a roasted pig for dinner!  The food was absolutely wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment