Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Belize Zoo


Dave and I arrived home on Tuesday evening from California, and I had to go to work on Wednesday morning.  The children at the Centre are accustomed to "white people" coming to the Centre, leaving and never returning.  They were very doubtful that I would return when I left, though I told them that I would come back.  I would have shown up on Wednesday morning on a gurney, if necessary, as I try to build trust in these children who have little reason to trust.  And what a welcome I received!  Children screeching and running to hug me, with the amazed exclamation:  "You came back!"

Dave had a relief pilot, who had been living at the house and caring for the cats, while we were in California.  Craig Newman, a pilot for Delta who a few years ago was here as the Wings of Hope pilot, continued to be willing to fly the air ambulance.  (I'd add that he and Maddy had a special relationship; she chose to sleep with him even after we came home!)  Meanwhile, Yvette Burks was preparing for the Gift of Life project the next weekend, which brings in cardiologists from the U.S. to examine children here with heart defects.  Two young women were here early to do a little sight-seeing, so we used the opportunity to drive them out to the Belize Zoo, of which we have heard rave reviews.

After a brief time at the Centre, Dave, Chelsea and Mary picked me up, and we drove out to the Zoo.  The day was overcast, so fairly cool, making it a pleasant walk through the jungle.  The Zoo is known for having rescued animals who were injured or needed rescuing for another reason.  Dave and I met Sharon Matola, the founding director, at a Rotary meeting (you may recall the baby croc, Rosie, was there, too).  Fortunately, Ms. Matola was out feeding some of the animals and conferring with staff.  We were able to say "hello" and enjoy watching the animals eager to eat!

Here are some pictures of our day at the Zoo!


Chelsea and Mary 


A Tapir, the national animal


Jungle foliage


A Toucan



A children's book and educational campaign has been written about the Jaguar


Sleepy Jaguar

We returned to Belize City in pouring rain, and picked Yvette up to go to the Hour Bar and then to dinner.  I love the Hour Bar for its location, but the barometer was sharply dropping, which apparently brings out the sandflies.  I was eaten alive in a matter of a few minutes!  (I quit counting at 50 bites on one leg as I sat with ice packs on my swollen legs and feet; my doctor doesn't have a lot of sympathy as she is equally allergic to the bites!)  

Craig took us to the Radisson for dinner before he left, though I think we owed him more than vice versa.  We had never been there to eat!  Fun!  He was off to Georgia to spend the balance of his vacation with family.  We are so grateful that he was here to take over so that we could go to the wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment