Sunday, June 8, 2014

June Gloom

Interestingly, we've been experiencing "June Gloom," not unlike the L.A. area, but without the coolness.  Everyday for the past two weeks has been gray and overcast with a threat of rain.  Yet the rain does not fall!  The Weather Channel tells me that there is a 100% chance of rain on Tuesday, but I will believe it when I see it.  The temperatures are high, but a significant breeze has continued to blow, especially at night.  I am not complaining!

On May 31, the annual Cancer Walk from Ladyville to Belize City was held.  I bought my shirt, and really intended to walk...or not, as it turned out.  I stayed awake all night in order to be awake at 3:30 AM, but then I thought it a better idea to go to sleep!  So I missed the event!  Dave took Yvette and her mother to the start line, and Yvette said that it was a perfect morning for walking!  I have a shirt, I donated to the cause, but I feel a little guilty wearing the shirt!

Dave seems to be on an alternate day schedule for flying.  He'd rather it be a daily schedule.  He frequently flies in rain, but nothing too severe.  And the rain, as I've said, has not been in Belize City!

I have been working on an all-day training for the staff at the Centre.  The training will be held in July. I am also working on a manual that gives more specific directions for responses to misbehavior.  It is quite a challenge to think of all the mischievous things these children can think to do!  Most important is again communicating the non-violent, problem-solving mindset that we hope will guide the staff in responding to the children.

Dave and I went to Wine Tasting on Thursday night.  While it was a small group, the evening turned out to be great fun!  I sat beside the Deputy High Commissioner in Belize from Great Britain.  She was very engaging!  A man came over to sit down, wearing a shirt with my maiden name (Sharp) on it!  Of course, I had to comment.  He is related to the Sharps of "Marie Sharp's Hot Sauces" here in Belize.
As we talked about our family heritage, it is likely that we are related!  We also met Bob, who retired from the British Army, and retired in Belize.  Both of these men are very involved in veteran activities at the BDF base. In fact, they invited us to join them at the Mess on Friday, Saturday or Sunday to watch BBC broadcasts, especially of rugby.  Each year there is a large group of British rugby fans who gather in Houston to watch the finals at the Richmond Arms Pub.  Dave has been invited for the weekend!  With the Pub having 122 different beers on tap, I really think that he should go!  In the meantime, I am planning on visiting the same Pub (ok...I'll have soda there) with Candace when we are in Houston for the APT Conference in October!  I thought I should check the place out!  The area is lined with bars with lots of music on Friday and Saturday nights, so Candace and I will see what we find.

In other news, Lorenzo, Maria's son, graduated from 8th grade!  Hurray!  And he's an excellent student!  Maria and kids will move to another town for another, better school district this summer.

1 comment:

  1. You two are certainly not idling the days away! Always so many adventures and activities that are so fun to see and read about. I can't believe Jeanette let them put all those iguanas on her!!

    ReplyDelete